Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dualism - Really?



Here I go, still beating that horse.  But pondering my last post on intelligence leads my horse to the watering trough to drink up yet another question:  Does the dichotomy - the basic division and opposition within our brains cause us to view reality as dualistic when possibly no dualism exists at all?  Maybe all the dualism and opposition we perceive to be going on is simply an outcropping of a divided mind.   Maybe we are so prone to form divisions within our perception of reality because at our core of thinking we are all divided.  

 Our perception may just fit the reality of our brains and not the reality of reality.  We are naturally biased internally to think in binary - in on or off states.  A sort of Chicken vs egg of the brain salad reflection of reality.  Maybe when we divide things we are simply looking at opposite sides of the same thing.  "When you pick up one end of a stick you pick up the other"  Maybe like the sandwich pictured above it's all just two divided sides, a symmetry of the same thing.

The English language is certainly biased in the direction of dichotomies of black and white.  It takes skill and verbosity to express a view that teeters between two sides and encompasses all the nuances of any situation.  It's so much easier to simply lay out our blanket statements of truth in a yes or no fashion - right or wrong - case closed. flip the sign "out to lunch" and lock the office door (Mmmm, for some reason a chicken salad sandwich sounds really good right now, or maybe an egg salad sand). 

But yes or no rarely cuts it when considering complexity.  And most things we fight over are quite complex.  Maybe we are wired to disagree, to fight, to choose sides where in reality no delineated side really even exists; where in reality there is no yes, no no, there is only is (which is a yes in a way surrounded by the no).  

It is difficult to say for sure.  It is also difficult to say, "I'm not sure", "I don't know".  Harder still for me is the phrase, "I can't know".  We have a predilection for Yes or No.  Maybe!? ... WOW ... there's the rabbit hole!  

Maybe is unresolved and latent, with unlimited potential to be something.  Are we fighting over the maybe like quarreling couples fighting over the baby?  In our ignorant and hard wired divided view of reality are we fighting over divisions needlessly?  Ignorantly?  Because we can do nothing else but?  

Lincoln famously and so fittingly spouted wise words in his "house divided" address, ""A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved—I do not expect the house to fall—but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery, will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the states, old as well as new—North as well as South."

Civil war, revolt, or downfall seems almost inevitable in any prolonged human gathering if not tempered and mediated by wisdom and common ground.  Do we ever need such wisdom today in the divisions that plague and stagnate us in the US.  A war rages inside every human head.  War and fighting awaits the waging in every human gathering where people contact and 'contract' to partner in co-operational relationships.  

Is this penchant to fight simply pushed by a simple division of biology?   From whence comes reconciliation? (This is rhetorical, since I covered this in my last post which I hope answered the question of balance, peace and reconciliation)

OR* is symmetry a basic principle of creation?  Is the cosmos itself a creation of opposing forces, and this basic fabric is woven out through space and time in a balanced yin-yang blanket where disparate threads are stitched together.  It is so easy to see oppositions everywhere - they seem so prominent and at the heart of almost everything I consider and question. I could easily sit here for days and rattle off a whole long list of basic oppositions. 

A basic one that comes to mind, and a comparison oft spouted to denote a clarity of contrast is, "That's like Night and Day."  Seems pretty straight forward, you've got night defined by absence of sun, and day defined by its presence - done....Hold on there, what about Morning; that dawn, pre-dawn, post dawn time? or evening and dusk with all its divisions?  Midnight and midday.  Noon - Lunch! (EggSalad Sandwiches!) 

Now what happens when you add the moon to night or clouds to day?   What kind of night or day is it?  Is it cold, hot or warm? Is it sultry? Is there wind?  How much wind?  Is it blowing leaves or snow?  Maybe neither, maybe sand? (but sadly not sandwiches) Is it raining?  Did you remember to roll up your car windows?  You don't want a car full of sand or rain or snow.  I'd still like a sand-which though.  

I realize all this questioning is off-putting and tedious.  I'm tedious.  But I must always consider every angle. After dumping my thoughts on intelligence and the brain in my last post...

They roiled around in my head 
while I rolled round in my bed.  
When I awoke this question 
stuck out of the tangle 
like the hair sticking up on my head.   

Maybe everything I said was wrong???  
Oh gno - the dread! The gong!  
Maybe I should stop writing words 
and a start writing songs instead.  
No No NO!  I must go with the flow and resolve it.  
With my pounding of questions compounding solve it! Maybe everything simply is what it is, 
and my brain like a soda losing its fizz.  

I'm becoming content to just let it be.  
To let it see what it sees, even if lost in complexities.  
What can I do to fix it? to bend it my way? 
To what I might say... 
Maybe my ways the highway upon which I play.  
Whether mid night or mid day is no matter I say.  
I live happy mid both as I'm wired this way.  
Was I wired, inspired? by reality, 
which I've decided divided by division in me?  
Could be, it could be that all that I see 
is merely reflection that mirrors the me.

Well, many plaguing questions quite tedious indeed.  Time to flip my sign, lock my doors (roll up my windows) because now I'm seriously "out to lunch"   I think I'll have me a brain salad sandwich, and wash it down with a tall cool milky glass of I Can't Know.  My chicken has laid its egg from which it previously came.

I wish you PEACE both within and without, especially in the wild wonderful world of wonder, the curious, and the can't know.  Remember, like I've said before, "Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it made the monkey stronger"  Embrace your inner monkey...but that's a different theme entirely - eat your lunch first.

* OR is a condition oft ambiguous in language but quite precise in boolean logic, where either case gets a yes at the output.  We often read the word OR as an exclusive or, either this case, or that case, but not both.  Maybe in the boolean idea of OR sometimes the answer to both cases posed and presented at the input is one big YES at the out.

No comments:

Post a Comment