Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hot 4 Teachers



As the coming school year bears down, my mind is on teachers. I'm upset when I hear tell of the somewhat abusive environment in which they operate. In our society is a tacit expectation for teachers to magically fix everything, using their good heart and pure love for helping the kids; so much so that at times they should even do it for free.  No other degree'd professional would be so heavily expected to donate their time outside contracted work hours - but in order for a teacher to do the job expected, and a job well done, they must.

I would advise all teachers to stand up in protest and only work those hours for which you're being paid.  Your union is not standing up for you. Your politicians are not standing up for you. It is time to stand and let your voice be heard.  You all have much experience with that.

You will seldom, if ever, hear a politician lay the educational burden on the backs of those with whom they are trying to curry favor.  To do so is an act of political suicide.  So instead most of the load is put upon teachers, administrators, and the school system.

It would also cause an uproar for any teacher or administrator in a school system to publicly say this, so I guess you need to hear it from me.  I do not teach in the public school system, but I know a few teachers who do.

Parents, and especially students share this sacred contract and should be expected to carry their share. To use a fitting computer programming acronym - GIGO (Garbage in, garbage out.): An informal rule holding that the integrity of output is dependent on the integrity of input. 

Some parents and students do 'get it', without it having to be told by a politician, or public servant, and all the better for them.

To wrap up, it is my intent that teachers get their due and we stop making them work for free.  

It is also my intent to extend a hearty handed high five to those who taught me in my sorry state of youth during my time in public school.  I hope this provides consolation, to any teacher reading this,  to know that they did teach me and I did learn.  Those who taught me likely don't remember me since I was a quiet and shy kid who did the minimum to get by with as little notice from my peers and teachers, but I did pay attention and you did teach me well.  Thank you, and chin up, feet down for the year ahead teachers.

FWIW: I attended Jackling Elementary (K-2)  Carl Sandberg Elementary (3-5), Southland Elementary (6), Copperton Jr High (7-9), and Bingham High School, Class of 81.


*The first two paragraphs were submitted to the Deseret News, SLC Utah It was printed appearing in their letters section on Friday the 21st, 2013.  Thank You Des News.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765636260/Unions-not-standing-up-for-teachers.html

No comments:

Post a Comment