Sunday, July 28, 2013

FREE TIME - A POEM

FREE TIME 
7/30/98
I don’t want to get out of bed today
I’ll just roll over and it will all go away.
Time for something different, time for something new.
Ripe for something yellow, or better something blue.

Time, this time you bow my servant
Time sublime, of you I’m recreant
Hiding in peaceful, restful repose
Dreaming bare and free, no care for clothes

Through the mist I lose its calling after me
while running naked careless toward the open sea
The waves crashing a sound like ringing, singing 
bringing psalms; the palms, the sand, and sea,
pluck the harp, the heart, which lingers listfully

And now a large wet lunging tongue, 
a wave of strength enormous 
licks me from the golden beach, undone
the size that can deform us
Within its wash machining mouth,
I roll and reel till numb
still the ringing drones incessant 
in an underwater hum

And just about when air's ran out, 
the light to leave my head
It spits me like a sickly trout 
upon the beach instead.
Sudden stunned and shocking, 
I’m full awake in bed
clock's clanger continues knocking 
its tiny ball of lead
Muted pillows me are mocking 
caught in smug and twisted sheets
all these things conspiring 
revel gleeful their deceit

Five fleeting minutes, or less than, 
and I’ll be late for work 
certain now, predestined, 
to arrive the office jerk.
I hop out madly, dress quite badly, askance
and slop myself half fed, 
And leaving cast one last glance 
longing t'ward beguiling bed

If we knew and true conceived 
vast possibilities outside our zones
all bosses would quick be bereaved
as awakened we could see to leave
the altar of their ringing phones.

Life is more than punching keys, 
or smoozing clients on your knees
Life for me's the gentle breeze 
blowing through tall green majestic trees, 
or the grandeur of blue rushing seas.  
Dream I do so much of these.

Dead like everyone before me, 
dread like everyone to come
chained to a life that bores me 
while working drone and numb.

Much to be said for escaping.  
Imagination's wild joyful rides
For happy free and fantasy 
we seek wild soulful sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment