Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pony Expression & Horse Sense:


Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I have the intolerable ability to ride a metaphor to its bitter end. I ride it, and I ride it hard whipping it into a frothing sweaty state of fast frenzy, until at last we both reach the next outpost exhausted. 

I then quickly switch horses, keeping my saddle, and continue to convey these valuable messages to their destination. I'm sure this ability is insufferable at times, especially to the one being ridden and doing most of the work (the metaphor bearing my saddle, and enduring my kicks). 

I will even at times continue to beat a dead horse. Maybe in an attempt to figure out why it died, or what I may have done to kill it. 

If my intensity causes you to froth and sweat into a state of intolerance, please know that I appreciate your conveyance and strength...eat a bag of oats on me as I pat your head in gratitude and respect. Or you can always tell me to 'climb off' and give it a rest, even in the horsiest of ways. But ultimately we both have a destination that is served by cooperation.  And we would both soon see the futility of changing horses in midstream, or in the desert wild.

Mankind owes a lot to the strong, mostly gentle, and tolerant horse; and the horse would not realize its true strength both of character or survival without being ridden and learning to bear it well.  

If I ever own a horse again in my life I will name it Metaphor, or better yet Metaphorse.   

"Hi-Yo Metaphorse! Away!"

1 comment:

  1. This piece is officially my all-time favorite of all your writings I've read thus far. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete